The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.|
The Mentor Coordinator, a 12 Month Full-Time position, will be responsible for recruiting youths and mentors, facilitating matches, and providing careful case-management of matches and data for a case load of 35 mentors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Mentor Coordinator of Community Based Mentoring will assist the Program Director with recruiting, interviewing and selecting mentors.
- Organize mentor training including cultural diversity training.
- Coordinate mentor activities.
- Coordinate matching mentors with youth.
- Facilitate monthly mentor meetings.
- Meet with staff from all target schools.
- Assess and evaluate youth progress with mentors.
- Involve family members of the youth in mentor projects.
- Develop materials for dissemination.
- Conduct on-going evaluation of the project.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree required, M.S degree in Social Work, Child Development, Early Childhood Education or a related discipline preferred. Applicant should have completed a practicum experience in the human sciences area or have had at least
two years of experience working with children and families. Must undergo and present a clean criminal record check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to manage daily tasks to achieve high quality results.
- High degree of interpersonal skills and communications including public speaking.
- Ability to communicate both written and orally.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervisions, but cooperatively with others and in coordination with the total program.
- Ability to make quick judgments and responsible decisions under pressure.
- Ability to organize and coordinate diverse work load within and outside office.
- Ability to travel between Kentucky State University and service area locations to include: schools, organizations and participant residences.
- Knowledge of and experience with youth, familial culture and composition.
- Knowledge and effective use of Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
- Exhibit professional and personable demeanor.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Some work performed in community setting.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.