The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. |
Reports directly to the Assistant Vice President for Business Services. Perform the more complex duties involved in compiling, analyzing and reporting the financial performance of departmental operating units.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze monthly financial statements to determine proper charging of operating revenues and expenditures in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Prepare monthly income statements by consolidating accounting data and provide written interpretation of results; monitor and report on financial performance of individual departments and the division as a whole; recommend corrective actions based on analysis.
- Reconcile plant funds monthly; allocate depreciation based on function.
- Work with departmental directors, unit managers and appropriate personnel to prepare annual budgets; provide forecasts to directors and line managers. Assist with year-end closing activities.
- Make recommendations to improve financial systems; perform in-house audits of operating units; analyze deficiencies and report to Director of Accounting. Assist in formulating and refining short and long-term financial goals for each department through consultation with departmental directors and administrative staff.
- Assist with development of new business proposals including budget preparations, project specifications, capital investments, pricing structures and marketing strategies.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Work requires a bachelor's degree in Accounting, Economics or a related field. Work generally requires three years of experience in managerial accounting to include one year as a Financial Analyst or equivalent.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and university financial policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of university and/or public auditing policies, standards, and procedures.
- Knowledge of accounting and accounts receivable principles, methodology, and practices.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart information to a range of clientele and/or media sources.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement, and administer complex recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to write reports containing technical information.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to identify and secure alternative funding/revenue sources.
- Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of cashiering and cash management principles, systems, procedures, and standards.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.